Sunday, July 30, 2006

The Apologia

One night while I was having a glass of wine after work, a decent enough young man asked me out to dinner. I gave him my number and firmly expected never to hear from him again.

He called and we went out for a nice dinner. He walked me home and we kissed on the doorstep.

So far so good.

He called again and we agreed to go to the movies.

I could tell right away when he picked me up something was different. He was distant, would barely talk, avoided eye contact.

After the movie, even though it was early, he immediately dropped me off. He gave me a quick hug and left.

I called him a few days later, "So, uh what's going on?"

"Well, I'm thinking I'm going to move in a few weeks so we should just be friends."

Brush off.

"Ok," I said, "whatever."

"No, no I'll call you. I'm just in a wierd place right now."

Right, he's in a wierd place.

"Sure," I said and hung up.

Two years later.

I'm sitting in a bar and I notice this guy keeps looking at me. He doesn't look like anyone I know, but hey maybe he's a friend of a friend who once saw me a at party that kind of thing.

After about an hour of staring he comes up to me.

"Uh, we went on two dates two years ago. I don't know if you remember me, my name's Mitch. Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I did actually move. That wasn't a line. I did like you. I'm back and I saw you and I just wanted to apologize for what I did. I was worried you might still be mad."

"Honey I think 2 years is more than the statue of limitations about being angry over 2 dates."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home