Sunday, July 30, 2006

The Reluctant Goddess Part I

The last show I ever did in NYC was an adaptation of Faust. I was about to graduate from NYU. I had no idea what I was going to do in the future, I just knew I wasn’t going to continue to be an actor. I had no boyfriend, had barely even had a date in four years. And I was getting depressed because I was coming to the end of my college career with absolutely nothing to show for it except a whole bunch of shows so off Broadway I could see Jersey. One of the guys in the show, Tony, had just broken up with his girlfriend of 8 years. Apparently they were into the S and M scene. Tony spent most of our rehearsals trying to talk one of us into going with him to S and M clubs. He would say to me, “Listen, you’re angry. You’ll go spank men. You’ll feel better, they’ll feel better. It’s win-win.” But I refused. About a week after the show was over, I got a phone call from Tony. “What are you doing tonight?” “Nothing.” “Get dressed.” “Where are we going?” “An opening party for a dungeon. Don’t worry, it’s very exclusive, and I won’t leave your side until you say the word.” Being me, I already had an outfit ready-short black catholic school girl skirt, black stockings, knee high lace up stack heel leather boots, black scoop neck top, and my black leather hat which had the word “Bitch” in red stitching. Tony picked me up, and we went to the dungeon which was on the Upper East Side.