Sunday, July 30, 2006

From Here to Eternity

The high school prom was not what I expected. It was a boring event, perhaps because my date, my first boyfriend and love, being predictably antisocial had agreed to go, but not actually do anything like dance or even talk while he was there making him all but useless. While others danced, I sat in my prom dress and heels and watched. My best friend had come stag, a move that I considered incredibly brave on her part. She’s married now, has been for a while; I can’t give myself away with a free cellphone. Her father owned a beach house. Since he was an architect, it was a beautiful house full of bedrooms and large windows overlooking the beach. After the prom, the three of us drove up there. We changed into pajamas and hung out on the overstuffed couches in the living room listening to the surf. Some genius had scheduled the prom for a school day so we were exhausted and fell asleep-chris and I on one couch, Jess on the other. In the morning, I woke up before any of them. The couches faced the huge windows opening onto the beach. The fog had rolled in, and I couldn’t see where the ocean stopped, and the sky began. Chris was curled up behind me, his breathe against the back of my neck-this arm thrown over my waist. Instead of being terrified by that image of overwhelming vastness, I lay warm and safe contemplating eternity. Because in that moment of infinity possibility, I knew that everything would be alright.

The End

I'll say a proper thank you to all who helped me survive blogathon 2006 later tonight. For now I seriously need to crash. Thank you so much to the monitors, sponsors, and commenters who helped me make it through the long dark teatime of the soul that was Blogathon 2006.
And of course thanks to all those boys! Could have done it without you.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmwah. Well done, my love. Very well done. You go sleep now.

6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous work, Ms. Bunni. You made blogathon a tremendous pleasure for us bystanderish cheerer-on types (I hesitate to call myself a cheerleader, since I'm not sure my legs are good enough for the little skirt. You and your cheerleader can take turns wearing it, okay?)

6:56 AM  
Blogger Kari said...

Thanks so much for all these stories Bunni. I wish my former romances had been so memorable.

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on making it through from a fellow 'thonner :) *hugs*

2:07 PM  
Blogger Andrew McAllister said...

If you've got first boyfriends on your mind, you might enjoy an article entitled The Ghost of the First Love. Thanks for the interesting read!

3:52 PM  
Blogger Office appliances said...

Top 5 High-Quality And Best Routers for office Click here to read the full article

3:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home