Saturday, July 29, 2006

Perspective

One summer I worked as box office for a very small "summer stock" theater in Upstate New York. It was just starting out then, and the woman running it was a former soap actress who basically came up with the theater so she would have a venue in which she could be Taken Seriously as an Actress.


The play that they were producing was an atrocity-this preachy piece about an older man who stumbles upon a college drop out in a hospital bathroom and they end up, of course, helping each other having an epiphany complete with flashing neon sign obvious symbolism and stilted dialogue. It was bad enough that I had to sit and watch this play THREE TIMES to help paper the not very surprisingly empty house, but I was sent to pick up the playwright and his girlfriend at the train.


Now I'm four foot six. Not a dwarf, not a midget, just short.


The playwright was about six three or so. So I load them into my car and start to drive them to their hotel which is only about 15 minutes away. We make small talk. He asks me how I like the play. I lie. And then he asks me, "So what is it like to be that tall?"


"Well, you know," I said, "I was only shorter than this and you were once this tall and continued to grow. So you have a better idea what it's like to be this height than I do."


He was silent for a moment. Then he said, "That's a very good answer."


"Yep," I agreed," to a very stupid question."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home